Monday, July 15, 2019

The Genius of C.S. Lewis


I sincerely hope that everyone has someone that has inspired them to try doing something extraordinary. One of my life’s inspirations is C.S. Lewis. He served as a brave soldier in World War I, lost many of his friends in that war, and came home to become a university professor in England.
Clive Staples Lewis was an atheist who, because of the urging of friends, decided to seriously examine Christianity. The result was that he became one of the foremost Christian thinkers and writers of the 20thcentury. His intellect was such that he was not a man that others would want to debate. 
I have several works of his in my home library, including The Inspirational Writings of C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters, and The Chronicles of Narnia. My personal favorite is the seven books of the Chronicles of Narnia.
A friend gave me the set when my youngest daughter was six years old, and we read the books together at bedtime when she was in first grade. Written as delightful children’s stories, they tell the tale of four children who enter the fantastic world of Narnia and encounter talking animals, the frightening White Witch and Aslan, the great lion. They have adventures that lead them to a maturing understanding of spiritual things. The insights grow deeper as you go from one book to another.
When I began my children’s trilogy years later, I featured my four grandchildren as the heroes and heroine of their own fantastic adventures that ultimately take them to the most wonderful place of all. 
My trilogy is very different from the work of Lewis. The one similarity is that I also have four children in my stories: The Forest at the End of the WorldThe Ocean at the Edge of Forever, and The Mountain of the King.
Lewis has been inspiring readers for generations. Thanks to him, my family, and of course, my grandchildren, it is now my hope to inspire even more people. Please look for my children’s trilogy on Amazon. Remember the riddle that guides the children:  
Not all things are as they appear … and some are tricky, too!”

No comments:

Post a Comment